Friday, March 18, 2016

Gone Missing

I fear Ralph may have murdered the hairless hamster and hidden the body.  Two wads of stuffing were found, one in the living room, one on the stairs.  I had picked up hamster and noted it had a rip, so set it aside to repair later.  My mistake.  I've saved the stuffing in case the husk turns up.  The hamster is/was hairless because the cats played so rough.  They have so many toys, but that one was a favorite.

My theory about the Bigs and Littles appears to be accurate.  Mice on the right side are getting downright chubby and obviously pregnant, waddling rather than running.  More Littles are showing up on the left, evidently cast out of the nests to live on their own and make room for the new crop of babies.  The Littles dash under the stand to get a drink of milk, which I can only squirt to the right.

I enjoyed the company of my friend Harold at dinner last night, and Harold enjoyed the corned beef and cabbage.  It's a once-a-year treat and it wouldn't be St. Patrick's Day without it.  I had to laugh, we both wore green shirts.  It wouldn't do for hostess or guest to be pinching the other.  Some traditions die hard.  I'd been worried that Bessie Anne might do a repeat of her poor behavior, but she went quietly under the table (I can't abide a begging dog) and put her head on Harold's foot.  I have no idea why she behaved as she did with Tecla.

The weather has been glorious, up in the low 70s.  The lilacs are full of buds and the oaks are almost fully leafed out.  It's a lovely green world out there.

It was a good day, unless you're a toy hamster.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad you celebrated in style. I remember having corned beef once as a child and I didn't care for it then - wonder if I'd like it now???