Sunday, November 12, 2017

A Day To Remember

Armistice Day, renamed Veterans Day, is honored on November 11 to commemorate the peace treaty signed between the Allied Forces and Germany at the end of World War I in 1918.  That was supposed to be the "War To End All Wars."  Would that were so.

There is a difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day, though both are days of remembrance for all servicemen and women.  So many of the men in my family served in one branch or another of the Armed Services over the years, beginning with my father in the Army and now with my grandson in the Air Force.  Actually, I could go back even farther on my mother's side to German immigrants who had left Germany to avoid whatever war they were fighting there and ended up being conscripted into the Army here to fight the Civil War.

At any rate, it was a beautiful morning to fly Old Glory and breathe a prayer of appreciation and for the safety of veterans, past and present, everywhere.

No comments: