Friday, November 10, 2017

Never Gets Old

Bess and I stepped out on the deck yesterday morning.  I needed to put some recyclables in the bag and get something out of the freezer.  Turning to shut the door, it was I who froze at the sight of this buck and his lady on the slope to the woods, as well as a flock of turkeys close by.  I couldn't move fast enough to get my camera out, sure they'd take off into the trees.  I needn't have worried.  It was as if time stood still.  I took my photos and the deer didn't move.  Finally, I put the jars in the bag and opened the freezer.  They didn't move.  The turkeys wandered away, but the deer seemed content where they were.  Because of the bare branches, it's hard to see that the buck is a forked horn (two prongs to a side), even though that's a good-sized rack he's carrying.  Seeing wildlife here never gets old.  Finally, Bess and I went back into the house.  I checked back about fifteen minutes later; the deer were still there.  All in all, the pair stayed for nearly an hour.  They evidently took "make yourself at home" seriously.

There was enough rain overnight to show me where I needed to trench in front of the play yard.  It didn't seem nice to let the girls into a protected area with a river running through it.  Rain fell off and on throughout the day, but it never got below 50 so I didn't need to light a fire.

Time may have stopped while the deer and I watched each other, but it went into warp speed at sunset.  On my way down to the barn, the sun was the brightest it had been all day.

In the few minutes it took to get the girls into their rooms, that brilliant glow was just a memory and the clouds were pulling their blanket over the sky.

Wildlife and the ever-changing sky, they never get old.

No comments: