Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Resolution

I'm making an early New Year's resolution today to stop procrastinating.  I could put it off until January 1, but that would be typical.  I'm very good at making excuses.  I even have some stored up for situations that haven't happened yet.  I can give excuses to friends for their problems.  I'm darned near a pro at it.  There comes a time, however, when there is a realization that things have gotten out of hand and thinking, "I'll do that tomorrow," (or the next day, or the next) just isn't working.  I can't promise to dust every day, but wish me luck.

After 24 hours and close to, or over, two inches of rain, the sun was so welcome yesterday.  Even a quick (now that's a relative term) trip to town wasn't so onerous, but I took time to sit outside with Bessie to revel in the warmth before leaving.  One task I'd put off before Thanksgiving was to blow the latest downfall of leaves off the deck.  I even had the blower charged up.  Of course that didn't get done in time, either.  Having to slog through piles of sodden leaves was part of what led to my resolution.  We're promised a few days of good weather and hopefully the leaves will dry out.  Note to self:  blow leaves off the deck as soon as possible.

Just after putting the girls to bed last evening, the neighbors' big dogs came roaring up to the fence; their timing was off if they'd wanted to scare the goats.  Surprisingly, the dogs were followed by a young family of five, the neighbors whom I'd never met.  We made introductions (the only name I remember, of course, is the one dog named Zeus).  They apologized for their animals and I explained that I knew the dogs were doing their job, but that they terrified the girls.  They understood.  Bess and the big dogs went nose to nose through the fence and seemed to make friends.  One can hope.

That glorious burst at sundown put an exclamation point on the day.

No comments: