Thursday, November 30, 2017

Feeling The Chill

Celeste evidently took "Pig In A Blanket" quite literally.  Instead of a sausage wrapped in dough, she tucked one of the orphan piglets in a towel bath mat to warm it up yesterday.  Living in this house is like opening a surprise package every day; I never know what I'm going to find.

There was an unpleasant surprise in the barn.  As I went to lift down the grain bucket in the morning, a rat!, not a mouse, a humongous rat, the biggest rat I've ever seen, jumped off the lid and ran off along the beams.  I admit to prejudice.  I am very fond of mice, but wild rats are a different ball of wax.  They are creepy and distasteful, and a creature I can do without.  Camille said this one probably came up from her place (she's been plagued with them).  If so, I'm going to counter-attack and send squads of ground squirrels down to her.

Project DIN continues to move ahead, perhaps not at the pace of the day before.  The days have been lovely, but there is a definite chill in the air day and night and I took advantage of having to nurse Stove along to sit down for a bit.  Exertion takes its toll.  While not warm, there was sun enough to dry the comforter I'd washed.  I switched over to fleece sheets yesterday and they are so comfy I didn't need to put the comforter back on the bed last night.

I hear Celeste moving another orphan somewhere.  Keeping them warm is one thing.  I hope she doesn't decide they need a bath.  I can imagine where I'd find a toy floating and it's not a pleasant thought.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

LOL at Celeste...NOT LOL at the rat...and with a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter who loves to play "bag lady" and pack whatever toy or this or that into whatever this or that...I often find things where I had no idea that they would be :-)