Saturday, November 4, 2017

Clear The Deck

It's certainly a good thing I blew all those leaves off the deck, what, a week ago?, so as to make room for all those that fell in the last day or two.  The promised rain came in the night, so these contributions aren't going anywhere for a while.  Sigh.

Company coming is a great incentive to get out the dust rag.  I've been much better about the living room lately, but then there was the dining room.  The dining room is a pain in the patoot to dust as it is full of pigabilia and other knickknacks (i.e., treasures), so it isn't a simple case of swiping across an empty surface.  There are times that a minimalistic approach to decor has its appeal.  The reality is that, dusting notwithstanding, I like looking at all the little piggy faces and thinking of friends and family that gave them to me.

Harold was coming up for an early dinner yesterday, so the pot roast went into the crock-pot well before sunup.  I like the '70s simple recipe with dry onion soup and a can of mushroom soup; it makes the best gravy!  Mashed potatoes and, wait for it, Brussels sprouts and bacon rounded out the menu.  Pete really spoiled me with one of my favorite vegetables and the thick-cut bacon.  Harold is easy to cook for and he's a good eater, and it was a pleasant afternoon.

Harold had no more gone down the driveway when Helper Dude drove up.  Thank goodness the rain had held off and he was able to safely get up on the roof to sweep the chimney.  That done, he took care of another much-needed, overdue task and trimmed Bessie's nails, something I will not attempt myself.  HD trains service dogs and is well-versed in nail trimming.  Bess certainly doesn't enjoy it, but he is so competent and assured that the job is over almost before she knows it.

It was only lightly misting when I put the girls to bed.  There was no arguing about going in; they almost pushed me out of the way to get inside.  A downpour heavy enough to wake me last night will reverse that procedure this morning; I'll have to push them to get them out of the barn.

Perhaps the rain will settle the dust and I'll be able to avoid that onerous job for a while.  Or not.

It was a good day.

No comments: