Thursday, November 9, 2017

Hold Off

Nature held off throwing a storm at us yesterday.  She threw a couple of test runs with some heavy gusts of wind during the day, and a smattering of rain on my way to town (aargh), but she wasn't serious.  I brought several wagon loads of wood up to the porch in case she changed her mind.  That big pile of firewood is just as comforting as a well-stocked cupboard.  I fired up Stove, one, because I could, and two, I thought how nice it would be to walk back into a warm house instead of an icebox when I got back from shopping.  Even though Bess and the cats wear fur coats, it didn't seem kind to leave them in a cold room while I gone.  The firewood this year is a great mix of oak and cedar.  Cedar burns hot and fast and leaves little ash; it's great for starting a fire.  Oak burns slowly and for a long time, but fills the ash tray under the grate.  How quickly one gets back in the routine.

Perhaps deer season is over, because I saw another beautifully antlered buck grazing in a field off the road.  I did my share of hunting back in the day and hold no prejudice, but now I'd rather just enjoy looking at these forest creatures.

Pete called in the evening.  "What's up with this cold?"  He's a southern California guy start to finish and winter, per se, is almost unknown to him.  "Well, Pete, it's because we have 'seasons' up here and this is just the beginning."  He hasn't been up here when we've had to postpone a holiday because of snow on the roads.  I often think of asking Larry if he gets bored with the constant low 80s in Hawaii.  Let me guess...I think not.

The goats and I were glad Nature let us get through the day without getting soaked.  I don't think we'll be that lucky today.  She let loose with a downpour and heavy winds last night and it continues this morning.  We might as well get used to it.  Nature held off as long as she could, but it's winter.

No comments: