Monday, November 27, 2017

My Hat's Off

When I was growing up, there were strict, unwritten codes of dress for women, and they also applied to girls of all ages. I do appreciate that such codes have been relaxed now.  Back in the day, one did not wear white shoes before this holiday (possibly Memorial Day), nor after that one (I think Labor Day).  Unless you were Katharine Hepburn, women didn't wear trousers, at least in public.  I think my mother owned one pair of slacks in her life.  She despaired of her tomboy daughter who had to be bribed to put on a dress.  Girls were not allowed to come to school in pants or shorts.  I was sent home on the last day of my sophomore class because I'd brazenly worn a pair.  Gloves were de rigueur and white gloves were to be worn only once and then washed.  Hats were obligatory and not just for church.  Now hats were something I could get behind, and I never quite got over it.

I've always indulged my love of hats, and can still remember favorites from over the years.  I have hats stacked on hats in the entry hall.  For a period of time, I wore nothing but cowboy hats: straw, felt, casual, and formal, decorated and plain.  There are all-weather straw Shady Bradys and cool-weather felts.  My favorite, but rarely worn, is an honest-to-God Stetson given to me by Dave years back.  I don't remember my dad without a hat on, and he always said Stetsons were the ultimate best (although his were never westerns).  I've never worn mine much out of respect and for fear of damaging it, but have always been proud to own a Stetson.

For a period of time I was a member of the Red Hat Society and have any number of festive red hats for our outings.  Deb gave me the most elegant red hat of all in the only hat box I've ever owned.  Unfortunately, now those hats only gather dust.

On the coat rack, there are winter beanies and that silly pig hat that is such a comfort on cold days in the barn.  There is the greatest hard hat with lights that Craig made for any nighttime venture out of doors.  The "got milk?" ball cap is my go-to on rainy days, and there is a straw western with a huge brim that I used to wear for shade when I was gardening.  There is a black Michael Jackson-style felt that I could wear if I want to get down and boogie.

On the rack in the laundry room, there is an Indiana Jones fedora that I adore, as well as a Davy Crockett racoon cap (I've got two of those), and the oh-so-silly chicken and pig hats.  What can I say?  I just love hats.

I just don't wear hats much anymore.  Sigh.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

My grandfather, Tinka's dad, wore a business hat always when he was dressed for work, and I'm not sure about my other grandfather as he passed when I was 2. Although 7 years younger than you, I, too, always wore dresses or skirts to school. My daughter in law can just not believe that we didn't wear pants to school and never even questioned it...at least I didn't. Sounds like you rebelled that once.