Sunday, November 19, 2017

Almost Pleasant

I girded my loins (whatever that means) and bit the bullet and reluctantly drove to town.  Not just town, but down to Cameron Park!  The day was mild, traffic was light, and the hills were punctuated with pools of gold and spires of red.  Most of the potholes had been filled so I wasn't constantly swerving.  Winding, hilly Bucks Bar can be a beautiful drive when conditions are right.

I anticipated a grim crowd of tense customers fighting over turkeys and cranberries at the store.  (When it comes to shopping, I always anticipate the worst.)  I wonder if the store hadn't put something in the air conditioner, because, while there was a pre-holiday crowd, there were smiling faces and an exchange of pleasantries everywhere.  The nice man at the counter went in the back and found a 23-pound turkey for me.  It's my theory that it's too much work to roast a dinky 12-pounder.  Half the fun of Thanksgiving dinner is doling out leftovers, keeping plenty for self.  Imagine my surprise when I found I was actually having a good time.  And best of all, the store had not only liverwurst, but Limburger cheese!  I haven't been able to find that stinky, stinky cheese for years, and I love it.  Back when the Kids were small and I wanted a little peace and quiet, I would open a package of Limburger and the house would immediately empty.  I probably scarred the Kids for life.

I've made the same Thanksgiving menu for probably fifty years (don't mess with success).  While I took the precaution of making a list, I could probably shop for ingredients in my sleep.  I was in and out of the store in next to no time and was home well before the witching hour (4:30).

By sundown, bags and bags of food had been unloaded from the truck (you don't want to see my kitchen counters at the moment), I'd had a bit of a sit-down, and was ready to put the girls to bed.  As much as I detest shopping, I'd have to say that my outing yesterday was almost pleasurable.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

So glad that it was a pleasant outing...and I KNOW that your Thanksgiving will be marvelous and full of laughter too! Sorry that Larry won't be there (at least I don't think), but how fun that Pete will!