Monday, November 13, 2017

Off To The Races

There is only a week or two until the culmination of the NASCAR 2017 schedule with the final race of the season at Homestead, FL, so it was especially fun for me yesterday because Clay had gone to see the race at Phoenix and he essentially took me with him via texts and photos.  Gotta love technology.  For someone who grew up with 10-pound, black, rotary-dial telephones with woven material cords without a curl, these little pocket computers that do everything but fill your gas tank are a marvel.  I'm set adrift when NASCAR goes dark.  Not only do I count on a do-nothing day on the weekend, race day is one way I tell that it is the weekend.  Barn chores and feeding wildlife take no holiday.

This morning I need to put the covers back on the barn window openings.  I wait as long as possible before shutting off the girls' view of the world, but we're due for rain off and on this week and temperatures will be dropping.  There have been years when we'd get a spat of rain, followed by more heat, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.  It is predicted to be a colder La Nina season.  I know that even on a sunny day, I needed Stove to take the chill from the house yesterday.

Bess seems to have undergone a transformation or rejuvenation of sorts.  For long months, she would not walk more than a few steps onto the slippery kitchen floor because her back legs would slip out from under her.  That all changed in a blink and now I find her behind me as I work at the sink or go out the kitchen door.  "Well, look at you, you brave girl!"

Faster than a speeding bullet, the holidays are coming at us.  I've got a major grocery list ready for Thanksgiving.  I just need to gird my loins to go shopping.  Aarrgh.

No comments: