Saturday, November 11, 2017

Turkey Trot

"Turk, turk, turk!"  And the race was on!  Turkeys came running from all directions.  They came in droves up from the woods.  They rushed past me from the front yard.  They were flying over the fence from my neighbor's pasture.  I kid you not, there were at least thirty at the feeding station and probably another thirty still straggling up the hill.  I tried to get a photo of this feathered horde. but dark birds in deep shadow...drat.  It's been ages since I've seen so many turkeys, males and females, together.  I'd thrown down the usual amount of birdseed, and I don't think it took five minutes for every last grain to be gone.  The rule is, no second helpings, sorry, Charlie and Charlotte.

 It was a bright, sunny morning with just a few puffy clouds in the sky.  A light breeze blew, certainly nothing like the strong winds of the past few days.  Feeding and milking went quickly because the girls were anxious to get outside and enjoy the day.  My milk customer has been out of town for a few weeks.  He's been a customer for a number of years, but I fear I'm going to have to disappoint him when he returns as Sheila is just about ready to close for business.  She's producing less and less milk these days.  I've always taken pride in the quality of the girls' product, and it would take so long to save up a gallon now that the milk would be old when he came for pick up.  Raw milk doesn't have a long shelf life, and I'd rather keep my good reputation.  Sheila and I are ready for retirement.

You know how it is when you get your mouth set for something?  I've been thinking about pumpkin cookies lately, and baking was the task I'd set for myself after barn chores.  (It's probably the fall weather that brought that on.)  Before I could get started, my friend Harold called with an invitation to meet for lunch.  Well, I wasn't about to turn that down.  I had just enough time to mix and bake a batch of cookies, and put a baker's dozen in a bag to take as a thank-you gift.  A bachelor, Harold cooks for himself, but baking isn't on his list of accomplishments. We met for fish and chips at The Pub and had a convivial visit.  While we talked, the sky darkened and then rain fell.  The morning had been so bright, I hadn't left the play yard open for the girls.  It didn't rain long, but they let me know I'd let them down when I got home.

A lunch out on the town and cookies for dinner.  It was a good day.

No comments: