Friday, November 3, 2017

Shades Of Grey

A B/W photo of sunset a couple of days ago.  There was no sun yesterday.  It was misty, grey, and cold all day.  Rain isn't due until tonight, but I left the play yard open for the girls, just in case.  I was so cold after coming up from the barn that I made a hot drink, sat down in my chair, piled on a couple of cats to get warm...and promptly fell asleep.  Normally this would not matter, but Linda had invited me to go wine tasting.  It's been months since Linda and I have gotten together and years since I've taken advantage of the local product.  Panicked that I would be late, I threw on clean clothes and dashed out the door and arrived at the winery with four minutes to spare.  Whew!  I enjoyed Linda's company and it was pleasant to sample various reds and whites, although this vintner is not my favorite winemaker.  We whiled away a couple of leisurely hours; given the hour and the day of the week, the tasting room had few customers so we weren't taking up space and it was nice to catch up with my friend.

The day before, Kit, Tinka, and I had been discussing the crazy weather, and I mentioned that either the grape harvest was very late this year or I'd missed the pickers going through the vineyards next door but it didn't look like the vines had been touched.  Yesterday on my way to the barn, there was activity in the field next door, chattering amongst the workers and tractor going up and down the rows.  I can't remember a harvest as late as November.

The house was so cold when I got home, I broke down and lit the wood stove.  There is a wonderful moment when the chill leaves the air.  I sent a message to Helper Dude, asking if he could clean the chimney today.  Stove was a little balky and I think the chimney is the reason.  I haven't heard back, but I'm hopeful.

No comments: