Saturday, October 5, 2019

Company's Coming

Fridays are now known as Arden Days.  It's a good afternoon for both of us.  We share a snack, she gets her laundry done, we watch a couple of news shows that interest us, and, because company's coming, I get some cleaning done beforehand.  (I work better under the incentive plan.)  Yesterday's chore was the seldom-used guest bathroom.  Someone explain to me how a bathroom gets dusty, please.

This year is zipping by on fast-forward.  It occurred to me the other day that Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I am so not ready.  In an attempt to get a jump on prep work, I cleaned the ovens.  Okay, that's a pitiful attempt to garner praise.  I have self-cleaning ovens, so my "work" consisted of pushing buttons.  When Steve and I redid the kitchen, it was at the height of "guess who's coming to dinner (and how many)."  That's when we put in a six-burner propane stove and double ovens.  When shopping for the ovens, I found that the majority had a self-cleaning top oven, but not the bottom.  Does that make sense to anyone?  Half the work is still work.  Those appliances only get a workout now on holidays, but the holidays are coming.

I'm about due for a new microwave.  The much-used buttons are starting to malfunction and the door doesn't want to open.  I really can't complain as I've had it for over twenty years and it's done yeoman's duty.

I drew a five in the morning time card game.  I'd better hope to pair up or get a full house, because a straight would put me either way too early or too late.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I'll root for a full house!!! And yes, I would say you are due for a new microwave! Maybe that full house will pay off!