Sunday, October 20, 2019

Made It

Well, Michael and I survived the dreaded trip to town...mission accomplished.  It had been overcast all day and a chill breeze blew, so it was nice to be in a warm truck for awhile.  Foliage on the grape vines and forest trees are changing colors, making for a scenic drive.  It's never as bad as I anticipate, but I still can't work up any enthusiasm for going to town.

I'm curious, when did double yellow lines lose their "no passing" meaning?  I was going the speed limit on our narrow, winding country roads and twice yesterday some yahoo flew past.  I want a bumper sticker that says, "I'll pull over as soon as it's safe," because I do.  I've memorized every pull-out there is and will move over for even one car behind me, given the chance.  Ah well, can't cure stupid.

It's the darndest thing.  On my last two trips to Wally World, I've had to buy dog or cat food, the stuff that comes in those great big bags.  I'm at the stage where I go for the 16-pounders and hope the company isn't offering "four extra pounds for free!"  I'll admit I struggle with twenty pounds these days.  Let's not talk about 40-pound sacks of chicken feed; that's a comedy act.  But I digress.  After shopping, Michael and I get back to the truck and I start to unload.  On both occasions, some young woman has said, "Let me help you with that."  No kidding, perfect strangers!  My inclination is to say, "No thanks, I'll manage," but I honestly think it would be insulting to refuse an offer of kindness and I appreciate the help.  There are some nice people in the world...think of Neighbor Joe.

To end the day, I got a call from Larry in Hawaii and a report on baby Ozzy, who is home after a month in the hospital.  He is thriving and growing.  When you come into the world at about 3-1/2 pounds, you've got a lot of growing to do!

All in all, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I'm SO glad Ozzy is thriving. Sounds like "he will take it from here" and get on with his little life at home. And just think...life is about cycles. When you were 30 and saw a "you-of-today," you would have been thoughtful and offered to help. It does NOT mean you are less than capable...it just means you have earned some degree of grace. Just bask in the sunshine of human kindness!