Wednesday, October 16, 2019

What's The Score?

If someone were to say to me, "Lady, it's all in your head," I would have to agree.  It usually starts every morning hearing "Please Release Me" (1949 song - I like the Ray Charles version) as I try to extricate myself from under the covers, hampered by the cats, those immovable lumps, on my legs.

Yesterday I moved on to "Dear Hearts And Gentle People" (another 1949 song) as I thought of the kindness of friends during the days-long blackout.  Kathy V. kept in contact by text, just touching base now and then.  I heard from Arden.  Harold had tried to call, but was having his own problems with his cellphone.  A couple of days ago, an unannounced vehicle came up the drive.  That's a rarity and a small cause for alarm.  Michael and I were waiting at the door when FedEx pulled up.  Cue the song, "The Wells Fargo Wagon" from The Music Man (first produced in 1957, the movie in 1962).  Kit had sent me a Melitta thingie that, hot water needed, would make a mug of real coffee should the power go out again (and it will).  I'd like to try it out, but will save it for the dark days.

The song of the day yesterday was by The Bee Gees, "Stayin' Alive" (1977).  The music was there, but the words had changed to "Puttin' It Off, Puttin' It Off."  I really needed to go to town, but just couldn't make myself go.  Michael, who loves to go in the truck, had to make do with a ride down to the big road with the trash.  I have no option now, so he'll get his chance today.

I guess (hope) that hearing music scores in my head is better than hearing voices.  I don't think I'll ask for a consultation on that.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I didn't text when you were out of power because I didn't want your phone battery to be taxed, but I knew you were in the trenches and knew why no blog. I have an idea...why don't you and Arden try a Melita test on Friday, and make one cup of coffee to try it out!! Glad you are back!