Saturday, October 12, 2019

So It Goes

Well, it's been an interesting three days (seems longer).  I rolled out of bed Wednesday morning and, in the dark (turned out to be 5 a.m.), felt around to turn on the computer as I do every day.  Nothing.  Ah, it was then I noticed that the flashing red, meaningless numbers on the clock I haven't reset weren't blinking.  Oh goody, the power was out.  When it's dark up here, it's really dark...no ambient street lights, no nothing.  Hoping the cats had enough sense to stay out of my way, I felt my way down the hall to the kitchen.  Well, actually to the living room where I keep the wonderful LED lantern Deb and Craig had given me.  It, like the cellphone, is something I conscientiously keep charged at all times for just such an occasion.  Feeling much like the Coal Miner's Daughter (sorry, Loretta Lynn), lantern in hand I went in to see if I'd had enough sense to keep water in the teapot that stays on the stove at all times.  I had!  (Note to self:  refill the teapot.)  At least I could make a cup of instant coffee.  My friend Arden has made the early-morning trek down to Diamond Springs for her cuppa lo these many days.  There are those creature comforts we just cannot do without.

Happy that I'd done some spiffing before Linda's visit (it was so good to see her again), I wasn't too concerned about the house for Clay's arrival on Wednesday.  The baked albondigas I'd planned would take a little revision.  The stove top is propane, but the ovens are electric, so baked anything was off the menu.  The first stop for any visitor from the valley after the hour-plus drive is the bathroom.  "Hi, honey!  We're almost out of water, so don't flush."  Force of habit is strong, and he flushed.  So much for the little bit of water left in the holding tank.  Oh well.  Clay had been to the NASCAR race in Kentucky and made a side trip to Churchill Downs.  He brought me a wonderful souvenir coffee mug from the home of the Kentucky Derby.  We didn't need electricity to talk and had a good visit.  (The stove-top albondigas turned out fine.)

Water is a prime concern when the power goes out, not so much for me but for the animals.  I had bottled water out on the deck for just such a situation and was able to keep at least one of the bowls filled for the house critters.  The goats had plenty, and I could only apologize to the chickens.  It's interesting to brush one's teeth with a dry brush and no toothpaste.  I wouldn't recommend it.

It's the time of year when night falls early and sunup comes late, so there were many dark hours to fill in a silent house.  It's funny how one gets used to the little sounds of the refrigerator or freezer going on and off, and how quiet it is without them.  In three days, I've read two (big) books, using either the lantern or that great hard hat Craig made for me with the glowing headlights after dark.  Jeffrey Deaver and Stephen King are great companions.

Please, please, please, PG&E, let there be light.  Ta da!  Yesterday afternoon/evening, my pleas were answered.  Boy, that "real" cup of coffee tasted good this morning.

Thanks, Kathy V., for keeping contact.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

In my all electric house, I had cold leftover coffee...don’t try it.

But though power was out for 45 hours...it seemed like a year.

Let’s hope no winds for a while

Kathryn Williams said...

So glad you are back and that you have power!