Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Falling Behind

Being President of Procrastinators Unanimous has its drawbacks.  There were papers that needed to be signed for the dreaded change in home insurance.  They were slow to get here by snail mail, so my "support person" at the insurance company sent them to me by email.  "Get them back to me by Friday, Monday at the latest."  It doesn't do to extend any deadline for me.  Of course I waited until Monday to pull them, print them, sign in umpty-ump places, and scan them for return.  Oh, wait.  I've evidently not needed to scan anything since the change to Windows 10 and the connection with the scanner was not lost...I just couldn't find it.  I even downloaded a new app that, as they said, should have worked.  It didn't.  Panicked by this time, I called and explained that I was failing computer and I'd bring the papers in.  "You don't need to scan them.  You can sign them right on line."  "Really?!"  (Who knew?)  Back to the computer which, by this time, was not my friend.  "Just click where it tells you and follow the directions."  Uh huh.  I got as far as finding the right place to "enter name" (that's all it told me), tried to type in my name, and nothing.  Aarrgh!  I called back.  "Can you talk me through this?"  "Yes."  Again I found the right boxes.  "Just enter your name."  "Nothing is happening."  "Just hold the left key down on the mouse and write your name."  Take my word for it, there were no directions to do that.  Mission accomplished, I sent off the documents.  Technology is forging ahead and I am definitely lagging behind.

I have the same sort of problems with the change in the television receiver.  The new remote control can do things the old, simple remote could not.  My problem is that neither the computer nor the receiver came with directions.  I can follow directions but without a manual, I'm left to founder on my own.

Michael and I took three walks yesterday.  We both needed to be out in the fresh, brisk air.  The rain had stopped by daybreak.  Michael had business to take care of, and I needed to decompress after the trials of the morning.  At least I can keep up with Michael now.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ugh, I HATE computer problems. Why the heck didn't they tell you that you could do the Docusign, if that's what it was??? Glad you got it done. I haven't used a scanner in ages and ages, but what I do is take a photo with my phone and then attach the photo. I'm not sure that would have worked for their purposes, but just in case, there's another solution.