Monday, September 30, 2019

Wimpy

No, I'm not talking about Wimpy, "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today," who appeared in Popeye cartoons in 1931 in the funny papers.  Are there still funny papers?

I'm talking about me, the wimp who weakened and lit the wood stove yesterday morning.  Yes, fall only started a week ago, but the house was really cold after days of mostly below-sixty degrees and I decided it was silly to sit there and shiver, even wearing a jacket.  The cats were clinging to my lap like limpets and Michael was curled up tight in his bed.  Our morning walk had been brisk and, for a change, Michael had stayed on top of the hill and was as ready to get back in the house as I after chores.  There was firewood on the porch.  Well, why not?  Stove seemed to be in agreement because he fired up in no time and his warmth slowly permeated the room.  Ahhh.  Michael unwound and came to lie by my feet and Ralph and Celeste took their places stretched out in front of the hearth.  It was a lovely way to spend a lazy NASCAR Sunday.  (Clint Bowyer made it to the playoffs.)

There was no dawdling on our evening walk.  A chill wind was blowing and Michael took care of business with only a couple of stops along the way.  He's been known to stretch it out to at least six on a nice day.  I gave Stove another helping of firewood and gave a passing thought to restocking the rack.  Another chore for another day.  Yeah, well...it started raining after dark and it's still raining this morning.  Will I ever learn?

This will be my first experience with Michael in the rain.  Should be interesting.  Will he wimp out too?

No comments: