Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Birds And Turtles

Timing is everything, but sometimes I don't understand the timing.  I've never understood why chickens go into a heavy moult in late fall, just when they're facing cold, wet winter weather without their down jacket, but they do it every year.  The vultures are gathering for the big migration.  You'd think they'd need all their plumage for the long flight, but no.  There is one pole they sit on and (I guess) pluck not just long and short feathers, but also fluffy down.  Do they just fall out or are the birds doing the grooming?  Michael and I find more every day.  Are they lightening the load?  Inquiring minds want to know.  According to Google, it takes a year to replace a feather.  Are they spiffing up so they look good for their return next year?  There is a lot I don't understand.

It's not just moulting that can cause a bird to go bald.  Rotten Stanley has two girls in his harem, and he plays favorites.  One hen has lovely, full feathers in the Delaware pattern.  The other one, obviously picked on, is scruffy all over and has a naked neck where he's pulled out a bunch.  When I put down the feed, Stanley and Wicked Sister get right down to business.  When Cinderella tries to sneak a snack, Stanley gives her a hard thump and she runs whimpering behind the coop.  I guess she gets the leftovers, poor girl.

Just FYI, there was a recent report of a woman in Australia who was pecked to death by her rooster...true story.  The bird hit a varicose vein and the woman bled out.  After seeing the damage Stanley has done to me, I can easily believe this.  Maybe there is an Aussie branch of Stanley's family.

In true turtle fashion, when the news of the outside world scares me, I pull into my shell and watch "feel-good" programs on TV.  It's a good time to put the servants to work to wash clothes and dishes so I don't overload on guilt.  At least something gets done while I'm hiding out.

No comments: