Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Flip Flops

Up in the 90s, down to the 50s, and back again.  We could even get rain sometime soon.  It's really hard to keep up these days as Nature does her flip flop with the weather.

As often happens, my mind went wandering at the term flip flop.  Back in my day (I'm thinking somewhere in the '50s), I became a fan of the one-toe Japanese socks called tabis.  Don't ask me how I got started because they certainly weren't common footwear, but they sure were comfortable.  Made of substantial cotton material, they were worn alone in the house.  To go outside, I wore zories, what are now called flip flops, with the tabis.

I think there is a pair of flip flops in the closet.  They haven't been worn in years, and when I did, it was only when I planned to stay on the deck.  With all the gravel and dusty dirt up here, they just aren't practical.

I've got to invest in more Super Glue.  The repair job I did on my barn shoes worked really well.  One is still stuck together, but the other sole is letting go again.  I don't want to be going flip flap while doing chores.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

It was about 1957/1958 when my BFF and I, in about 6th grade or maybe the summer before, BEGGED our parents to take us to probably what was a Japanese Nursery in Pasadena to get "Beach Walks," which were what the brand new - to us - rubber zoris, thongs, flip flops. We did not get them then (maybe no parent wanted to drive to Pasadena from San Gabriel???) and maybe the folks thought it was just a stupid fad. We DID, however, get tabis and LOVED them!!! I'm on a Facebook site about people who grew up in the Newport Beach of the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. and a FEW of them called those early shoes, "Beach Walks!!!" I rarely hear the term and smile when I do.