Saturday, May 15, 2021

California Gold

Strewn like handsful of gold coins across the property, pockets of California poppies have popped up everywhere.  These are in the weeds out by the 'garden,' now defunct.  The dreaded foxtails have put out their wicked seed heads already.  Were it not for the flowers, Helper Dude would have whacked the weeds down, but he knows better.  Out of the pounds and pounds of wildflower seeds I've strewn over the years, the poppies are the only ones to survive.  Oh well, it's a case of 'take what you get and be glad that you got 'em.'

Yesterday was my day for celebration, beginning with my daughter's annual and traditional rendition of Happy Birthday, guaranteed to start the day with a smile.  Clay called later in the day from New Hampshire, where he'd gone to watch the NASCAR race, and I heard from my other sons via texts, even from Hawaii.  I heard from my niece, also in New Hampshire, and had a lengthy conversation with a  great-nephew, her son, in Massachusetts.

In the afternoon, Florence and Dan said they'd be stopping by, a welcome visit.  When they arrived, Florence brought out one of her latest creations...a bat house!  I am thrilled, and it's a timely gift.  I've had an affinity for bats ever since I was a little girl and my parents took me on a trip to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, where we watched the swirling funnel cloud of bats streaming from and returning to the cavern twice a day.  This was long before the cavern was open to the public, and it was as it had been in the beginning.  It's the start of mosquito season here, and the bats won't be far behind.  The thought of having a sanctuary for the furry, leather-winged creatures right here is grand.  Dan and I engaged in one of those 'remember back in the day' conversations (Florence is the baby in our group), beginning with the old wooden box-style telephones that hung on the wall and rolled on from there.  They'll be back next week to hang the bat house on the barn wall.  I am excited!

It was a better-than-good day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I'm SO glad you got some company!