Saturday, May 29, 2021

Shake, Rattle And Roll

Shake, Rattle and Roll, song, Bill Haley and His Comets, 1954.

Coming up from Southern California, I am no stranger to earthquakes.  I've been in some doozies down there and some pretty good shakers down in the Sacramento valley.  They're pretty uncommon up here, so it took me a minute yesterday morning when the big, heavy mirror in the bedroom started to, for lack of a better term, quiver.  Sitting at the computer, I didn't feel a thing, but the mirror was doing a shimmy on the wall.  Ah, an earthquake.  Turns out this one was centered in Lake Tahoe, over two hours away.  When I say Lake Tahoe, I mean the middle of the lake!  This was a pretty low-magnitude quake, but it's amazing how far those ground ripples can travel.  If there were aftershocks, I didn't feel them.

That was enough excitement for one day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That IS excitement. We had the small old fashioned shutters in our bedroom in Costa Mesa, and they always rattled when there was a tremor or earthquake, and that is how I knew if it wasn't otherwise obvious.