Sunday, May 2, 2021

Gnats To You!

The seasons are changing again and we're headed well into spring.  One sure sign is the the presence of those pesky gnats in the morning and mosquitos in the evening.  Michael is plagued by the gnats and spends much of our walks rubbing at his eyes, a favorite insect target, while I must appear to have contracted St. Vitus dance as I bat them away from my face..

Yesterday was the first of May, Kentucky Derby Day.  Yes, of course I watched the races and yes, the family texted our picks for the winner of the Derby, but it was hard not to remember those days when we'd all get together to sip juleps and celebrate.  Clay's horse, Hot Rod Charlie, came in third, the closest any of us came to winning.  My pick, Midnight Bourbon (ain't that a surprise?) was a disappointing sixth, still better than my second choice, Bourbonic, at thirteenth.  Ah, well, that's horse racing.

I was a little concerned for Michael.  He seemed listless all day, hardly moving from one place to another and not asking to go walkies.  We went out only twice at my suggestion and he obliged and did his business, but there was none of his usual enthusiasm, just not like him at all.  Since he is always a late sleeper, it's too early to see how he is this morning.  I'm hoping it was just a 24-hour thing.

Well, it's on to the Preakness, not as glitzy as  the Derby, but a good race just the same.

Stay safe.  Be well.

2 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw, hoping Michael is back to normal. Hope none of the pesky insects bit him! Will look forward to the next installment.

Kathryn Williams said...

LOL - I see you made the Kentucky Derby into a "drinking game!"