Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Little Squirrely

My day began and ended with squirrels, with a few nice nuts in between.  Grey squirrels pretty much keep themselves to themselves, but this bold dude was waiting on the bird feeder for breakfast.  He did move up to the fork of the tree when I approached, but then began to scold, "Chuck, Chuck, Chuck!"  (Grey squirrels are under the impression that everyone is named Chuck.)  Being properly chastised, I put down the bird seed and stepped away.

There was a good turnout of Freed Spirit bikers and their ladies for lunch at Bones.  Dave's lady, Sandra, drove up in her car as she had to go to work later.  Surrounded by all those muscles and since they were "in the neighborhood" (give or take 10-15 miles), I asked the boys if they would swing by the house and move the entertainment center downstairs and put the old, humongous TV on a different stand for me.  I'm shameless; how could they refuse the Club Momma?  (I had plotted this in advance and moved a lot of stuff out of the center before I left the house, hoping they'd agree.)  Under Dave's direction, those guys stripped the center and had it out the door, down the hill, and into the shop in no time flat and had the television hooked up again on a spare coffee table (I've got three, doesn't everyone?).  I'm no dummy; I had cold beer waiting.  This was my first opportunity to meet the ladies and they were a grand group.  The house was wall-to-wall leather and Bessie Anne was in seventh heaven, surrounded by men (she's that sort of girl).  Ready to continue their ride, they all formed a line for goodbye hugs and kisses (it still makes me smile) before rumbling down the drive, taking my sincere thanks with them.  They're "a lovely bunch of coconuts."

It had been an eventful day.  Just before putting the kids to bed, Bess and I went walkabout on the deck.  Spit!  What lettuce had survived the prior attack by the ground squirrel had grown up nearly an inch and I'd been able to identify all three varieties.  Don't you know that booger had returned and eaten every single sprout?!  Not one leaf remained.  I don't think it's worth replanting, at least not on the deck.  I don't mind feeding the wildlife, but I prefer to choose what and where.  So much for what I want.

Regardless, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So glad that your "Club Momma" status garnered such muscled rewards! And I guess when you plant a salad bar on your deck, no one waits for "the hostess to seat" them!