Monday, May 12, 2014

Pot O' Gold

Think I'm over the top when it comes to my Kids?  Best change the channel then, because I have nothing but honest good words to say today.

Deb and Craig arrived early in the morning and began unloading tools out of their truck.  They were on a mission!  After a little chitchat, they fired up two weed-eaters and headed in different directions.  Deb took on finishing the garden area and Craig went after the tall weeds bordering the driveway.  I was down in the barn when Clay and Larry drove up and were assigned their tasks by the foreman of the work crew.  By the time I hauled the milk buckets back up the hill, the transformation to the yards was spectacular!  The jungle under the oaks by the wood pile was laid to waste, all the garden plot was accessible, and on and on, and they weren't finished.  The hedge by the house is once more symmetrical, hillsides where turkeys and slithery things could hide in tall weeds are bare, and on and on.  Dave drove up in the midst of all this activity; prone to allergies, he was given a pass.  I should have prefaced all this by saying I had not asked for any of this; all the hard work was volunteered by the same Kids who ducked out of sight when I suggested weeding when they were little.  Clay and Craig?  My sons from other mothers?  They are my dear later-life boys.  Pete "joined in" with a phone call while we were taking a break, so my family day was complete.

I sat around like Lady Astor's pet horse at the party while Deb and Craig (who had brought all the fixings) prepared taco salad.  Plate after plate of that good meal disappeared down hungry mouths, followed by cheese cake!

Then it was time for fun, my kind of fun.  With music from the wineries drifting in on the breeze and 70s music playing in the living room, the poker game began.

I've not mentioned that I had been on a rather long losing streak.  All that changed yesterday (heh heh heh).  (And no one needs to point out that there are more white chips than blue; it's the winning, not the amount, that counts.)

And I was the winner all day in all ways.  Of course there were rainy days in our familial past; what family doesn't have them?  Our time together now is a rainbow, and my Kids are my pot of gold and I am a wealthy, wealthy woman.


1 comment:

Kathryn said...

And I'm ALL SMILES for your riches!!!