Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Well Baby

Bessie Anne had her annual well-baby checkup and vaccinations yesterday.  Every visit to the vet starts by being weighed.  The scale is right there in the waiting room and she finds it embarrassing to have that large digital display announce her dietary sins in public.  Reluctant to get on the stand, she turns and says, "You do realize I've got big bones."  I, myself, have always hated doctor scales.  I cannot decide whether to take a deep breath and float or empty my lungs because air is heavy.  It didn't help when the nice lady announced, "Well, you're certainly heavier than you look."  (How's that for a backhanded compliment?)  Discussing this with her later, I assured Bess that next year I will give her a puppy cut to lessen the load before the examination.  Stephanie, the tech, was socially astute and introduced herself to Bessie before taking her temperature, which Bess hates worse than getting shots.  Dr. Ric has cared for Bessie Anne from the very first, has seen her through three surgeries, and I can say without fear of contradiction that she holds a special place in his heart.  I've never seen him come out into the waiting room to greet any other animal but Bess.  My girl is ten years old now and is developing cataracts, but otherwise she is in good health.  I got an estimate on having her teeth cleaned, about the same cost as a used car.  I fear she'll have to make do with milk bones.  Speaking of milk bones, Dr. Ric keeps a cookie jar full and gave one to Bessie, which she took politely and promptly put down on the floor.  He was disappointed, and I explained that she would like two to go, please.  Just as with treats from the feed store, she will only eat them after we get home, but she does expect two.  Laughing, he handed me another "for the road."  We're good to go for another year.

I've an early appointment down in the valley tomorrow and must leave shortly after daybreak.  Camille is going to come to milk and tend the goats; I'll take care of the chickens.  Given time constraints, I may not get an entry written and I'm asking in advance for indulgence.  (Disregard if I do scribble a few lines.)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Glad you have a "well-baby," I totally understand about those scales, and indulgence granted for sure!