Thursday, May 29, 2014

After-Dark Adventures

Another mouth to feed.  Look at the size of this toad!

The story will have to wait...on a dead run here now.

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.  Whew!  It's hard to describe how much I dislike "going to town" after living in the foothills alone for so many years.  Traffic makes me no never mind; it's all those people!  I was urged to snap a "selfie," as it was the first time in 1-2 years I've worn a dress.  I had full intentions of doing so for publication, but I was so glad to get home that I stripped off the dress, etc., and jumped back into my bibbies even before giving Bessie Anne her "Mom's home" treat.  I had even put on lipstick(!), so the selfie would have been a doozie!  Maybe next time, but don't hold your breath.

Now, about the toad.  Yesterday while Tree Guy and Sons were working on the tree trunk, I was milking goats.  As I came up the path, TG came running.  "Where's your rifle?!"  He explained while we made our way to the house that, while I was in the barn, he'd seen the largest coyote he'd ever seen sitting on the drive just watching the girls in the pen.  He'd scared it down to the front pasture, where it then nonchalantly wandered down into my woods.  Okay, alrightie.  Bess and I were on high alert the rest of the day.  I mowed a couple of yards in the afternoon, always keeping an eye out for the predator.

At bedtime, putting the girls to bed was an ordeal.  They knew something with teeth was afoot.  Nobody wanted to go where they should be and Cindy was more reluctant than the rest.  She resisted coaxing, threats, and abandonment.  I left her out in the pen in the dark.  A long time later, hearing the beastie boys singing, I went out with lighted hat to try again.  In the barn, Toad hopped along right in our (potential) path.  Huge, this boy was.  Best to move him out of the way before I or Cindy (if she would come in) squooshed him flat.  Subterfuge and a rope finally got Cindy into her stall for the night.

Gosh, I'm glad to be home.  I'll leave the after-dark adventures to others.


2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Glad everything turned out ok after dark, and glad you made it to the big city and back. Too bad about no picture...guess we will have to wait another 2 years. I have one Hawaiian dress and one long skirt - that's it!

Unknown said...

As if...