Sunday, May 18, 2014

Transformation

I'll bet I went outside four or five times just to look around after Deb and Craig left yesterday.  I'd become used to the raggle-taggle look of overgrown weeds and accumulated this and that.  When overwhelmed with so much to do, I become stunned into inertia, doing what I can and ignoring the rest.  Deb and Craig came up early and worked like a well-oiled team for hours, both running weed-eaters and clearing thigh-high weeds around pens and down the slopes.  As I'd had no reason to go there, underneath the deck had not been touched for years.  Berry vines and vetch had taken over.  After tending to barn chores, my only contribution to the work force was to - you guessed it - pull weeds in those areas where only hands will do.  About the time we were all ready to fall over, I left to get pizza and the Kids got cleaned up so we could watch The Preakness.  The three of us were on our feet, yelling as California Chrome thundered away from the competition, hoping for a "local boy" to make good.  As I told Sandra later, California Chrome is the new gold!  I think we're going to get a party going to watch The Belmont, hoping to see this copper-penny horse take the Triple Crown.

Leaving, Deb and Craig said, "I love you," and my response was, "I believe you.  No one could or would work as hard as you did for money."  My joints were screaming and I can only imagine how tired the Kids must have been.  In the late afternoon, Bessie and I walked out on the deck, around the pens, down the slopes, marveling at how wonderful the place looks.  The transformation is inspiring.  My Kids are inspiring.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

And your Kids are inspiring to me, too. What a gift they gave - what a treasure they are! And yay to California Chrome for SURE!