Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Line

There is a line that should not be crossed, a line between acceptable and unacceptable, and some Thing is definitely on the wrong side.  While I've been keeping watch on the strawberry patch (all two berries), Thing, nameless only because I don't know what the thing is, has been pillaging my lettuce crop.  Is it not enough that I feed every two- and four-legged creature around, and do it voluntarily?  It seems wanting to keep a little of the fruits of my labors for myself is too much to ask.  Not too long ago I added six marigold plants to a pot on the front porch.  Stepping out yesterday, I glanced down and then did a double take.  Where there had been six, there were now three.  Three whole plants had been stolen.  I mean flowers, leaves, and roots.  Gone.  Thing is on a rampage and Farview is under siege.  I'm about ready to get out the blunderbuss in an attempt to hold the line, but how does one fight an invisible enemy?  That darned Thing.

Oh, for crying out loud!  Looking out the window, I just watched a blackbird fly down from the oak in the rear side yard to pick a leaf from a licorice mint plant and fly back.  I'm not saying it picked up a leaf from the ground; I mean it picked the leaf right off the plant!  Is nothing safe?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Is NOTHING sacred???