Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Throwbacks

Throw back the comforter.  Throw back the blanket.  Keep the sheet, but stick your feet out from under.  Heat arrived with a bang yesterday.  This quick-change weather gives no time to acclimate.  I went down to Camille's in the afternoon; she had bunch onions to share.  We sat on her patio to talk and Honey took several dips in the swimming pool, coming back to lie down dripping wet; it was that warm.  It is supposed to drop at least ten degrees by Saturday and I sure hope so.  Deb and Craig are coming back (gluttons for punishment) to work on the yards some more.  We joked that I probably won't see them again until it cools off in October.  Unfortunately, that's not a joke.  I don't blame anyone for not visiting here during summer.

My sister Pat and I shared our birthdays, born on the same date sixteen years apart with no siblings in between.  It was a race to see which of us would call the other first to sing "Happy Birthday."  Pat was not a morning person so I usually won.  This is the first year without her and it seems rather lonely, somewhat akin to realizing, well into my forties, that I was an orphan.

Ralph is a strange cat.  He does not purr, he snores when he's happy.  Celeste's purr-box works just fine, so it's not a familial trait.  In true brotherly fashion, he torments his sister.  This morning he attacked Celeste's tail.  Just as she would settle down, he'd pounce.  I remember Deb wailing, "He touched me for no good reason!"  Poor child, the only girl in a family of boys.

Yesterday I got the deck plants watered before barn chores.  Today I'd best get the front yard mowed first.  It gets darned hot in the barn if I run late.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Don't run late, but DO have a wonderful birthday...in the shade!