Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Storm Clouds

There were dark storm clouds over the mountains yesterday and a pretty stiff wind blowing.  Only a spit of rain fell, however, and we'd hoped for more.  In the afternoon, lightning flashed and thunder rolled in the surrounding hills but the promised rain did not come.

There were storm clouds in the house, as well.  The lovey-dovey best friends got into a skirmish.  It reminded me of a line from one of my favorite old movies, Lion In Winter, in which Katharine Hepburn says, "What family doesn't have its ups and downs?"
It made me think of my own Kids when they were little and couldn't go outside to play.  "He [or she] started it!"  Me:  "I don't care who started it.  I'm going to finish it!"  Just as with the children, the fight didn't last long, no harm was done, and no one held a grudge.  In no time, Ralph and Celeste were snuggled up on the bed again.  That storm blew over, too.

I had thought to leave the watering to the rain, but no such luck.  Bess and I went out to attend to that in the afternoon.  Muscles still aching and joints still creaking, I hadn't minded being house-bound all day.  The wind died down and it was nice to be outside again.  Planting potatoes and onions could wait another day.

Dealing with the chicks in their low dog run is a bit of a challenge.  It's closer to four feet than five under the wire covering, and I'm bent over like a crone when I tend to those little kids, putting down food and water.  Craig called it The Hobbit House.  It's fortunate that the chicks run into their hut (the dog carrier) when I enter the pen, because in those cramped quarters it would be difficult to stop an escape. 

The sun is shining this morning, and peace reigns once more in the household.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh the Hobbit House does NOT sound inviting. Hope the critters grow fast so you can stand tall and proud once again!