Saturday, May 17, 2014

After the Ball

Another lunch date, this one with Arden.  This social whirl has me spinning.  I laugh to myself when I get home from one of these outings and get back to reality.  Like Cinderella after the ball, off come the sparkly shirt and clean jeans and back on go the work shirt and bibbies.  Spiffy doesn't do down in the barn.

My phone camera doesn't do justice to the spill of California poppies flowing down this yard on Perry Creek nor the hillside covered with lupine just around the curve.  Both scenes are breathtaking and so unexpected. 
When we moved here, my own south pasture was also a sea of purple lupine in the spring, but years of plowing and mowing have all but eliminated those wildflowers here.  It's a sad but necessary trade-off for fire safety.

I made a tactical error yesterday.  Following my own advice, I did do a lot of weeding in the lavender bed early in the morning before barn chores.  It was pleasant, but I paid the price with hands that cramped a short while later while milking.  What was I thinking?  Those two tasks need a rest period in between.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Lovely pictures, Cinderella :-)