Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It's A Cat and Dog World

"A bird cat in the hand is worth two in the bush."  Bessie Anne had preempted my spot in my chair, relegating me to perch on the very front edge.  Celeste asked nicely to sit in my lap.  I told her there wasn't much lap there at the moment, but she said she'd make do.  Her head hung over so I put out my hand and she promptly went to sleep.  And there I sat, master of all I survey.

Dark clouds overhead and it seemed silly to be watering deck plants in the morning, but Nature has made empty promises before and those plants needed a drink now.  It was Ladies Day at Farview and I wouldn't have time to water anything later.  Arden, Camille, and Debbie K. came for a potluck lunch to celebrate Debbie's birthday.  (We never discuss numbers.)  I don't usually do potlucks, but it turned out so well we decided we'd do it again soon.  A quarter of the expense and work, and a lot of good talk and good food.  Celeste did her disappearing trick as soon as the first guest arrived; Arden has never even seen her.  Ralph, on the other hand, is quite the party animal and divided his attention to the ladies equally.  He was particularly interested in Honey.  Honey lives with cats of her own so pretty much ignored him.  Ralph was having none of that.  Starting at some distance, he would lie down full length on his side, and then inch closer by pulling himself forward with front paws until cat and dog were nearly nose to nose.  While his intentions were totally transparent, he thought he was being quite subtle.  Cats are just funny.  In the dining room, Bess always finds feet to lay her head on and nap.  We at the table sat and talked for hours; a really lovely afternoon.

Nature, wanting to have the last word, held off the rain until it was time to put the kids to bed.  Then it poured.  Of course it did.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

It sounds like the 2-leggers and 4-leggers had a wonderful day at Farview...until the skies opened up.