Saturday, July 16, 2016

Hands Full

I had my hands full yesterday, literally.  Each new piece of electronic equipment requires another remote.  I have three:  one for the satellite, one for the TV, and one for the snazzy machine that dubs VHS to DVD.  There is a corded landline phone next to one that is wireless and, of course, there is the cellphone.  All of these marvels are on tables next to my chair.  (Except the cellphone, which stays in my pocket at all times.)  Thus I might be forgiven if I, on occasion, try to change the channel with the wireless phone or wonder why I'm not getting a dial tone when I've picked up and try to make a phone call on the TV remote.  It's not that I am electronically challenged, it's just the physicality of it that is sometimes overwhelming.

I don't do much during this overheated weather but read or watch television (when I pick the right remote).  Getting engrossed in either passes the time and sometimes allows one to ignore how hot it is.  If Colin Firth has ever made a bad film, I haven't seen it.  From comedy to serious drama, he outshines his costars, in my opinion.  Yesterday I watched "The Railway Man," certainly not an easy movie but he was excellent and believable, as always.

Clouds at sundown shot up like fireworks, a belated Fourth of July celebration.  Looking up while filling the water trough later, I noted that the moon is nearly full again.  How time does fly when you're having fun.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Funny how the cordless landline will NOT change the channel on the TV, no matter how hard one tries. Have you heard the joke, "You don't know how easy you have it...when I was a kid, I had to walk thru 9 feet of shag carpet to change the channel!" The photo of the fireworks clouds was lovely - thanks!