Saturday, July 30, 2016

Jump Start

The morning routine goes like this:  get Inga up on the stand, get the brush, brush down one side of her, open the connecting door to the big room as I walk around her rump, brush down the other side, put the brush back and get the wipes.  So far, so good.  Except that Inga was making funny little snorts, almost like she was whispering an alarm.  "What's up with you, silly girl?"  Only then did I notice the snake just inside the big room.  Yep, there was the diamond-shaped head and the rattles, only three, but....  Snake was slithering away as I grabbed the shovel, but then it stopped and coiled.  This was a good thing as I didn't want to have to chase after it in the tall, dry weeds outside among the goats and I sure didn't want the thing lurking and coming back again.  The shovel was a good weapon and Snake was nearly cut in two.  I went back to Inga and started milking with shaking hands.  I always get after-the-fact nerves.

There is this thing about snakes that I had forgotten.  My mind told me that the snake was dead, but when the two parts began to slowly writhe, my eyes screamed like Dr. Frankenstein, "It's alive!"  Reflexes continued to fire for some time and Snake moved periodically the entire time until I could get Inga down and out and bash Snake a few more good whacks.  It wouldn't be an understatement to say I was hypervigilant the rest of the morning.  I took Snake out of the pen on my way to the house to leave as breakfast for the vultures.

Week One of radiation done.  Only fifteen more days to go!

Late in the afternoon when the deck was in shade, Bess and I went out to water the stricken plants.  I was working my way down the rail when suddenly the hose ran dry.  What the heck?!  Had a pipe broken somewhere and the well run dry?  All sorts of dire thoughts ran through my head as I went in to try the faucet in the kitchen.  Nothing.  Aaargh.  Only then did I notice that the power was out, and had probably been out for some time.  The pressure tank needs electricity to pump to the house, duh.  Still better than a broken pipe, and I've learned to count my blessings.  The power came back after a couple of hours and once again all was right in my world.

Let's just say it was an unusual day.

No comments: