Sunday, April 30, 2017

Three's Company

This last week has been a bit hectic, people coming and going:  Helper Dude, Computer Guy, and a couple of nice visits with Cam and Arden.  As a consequence, feed supplies had run low or out and even though Pete was due midday yesterday, a trip to Mt. Aukum was imperative.  I loaded up Bess and off we went.  It was a perfectly glorious morning and a car club was making the most of it.  I passed a string of little European sports cars headed toward the wineries, and the parking lot at the store was jam-packed with more...older Alpha-Romeos, Mini Coopers, and I'm pretty sure I saw an Aston Martin (James Bond's car of choice), and I don't know how many others.  Business was brisk inside and I heard that over sixty-five cars were participating.  Needing to get home, I didn't dawdle.  A snazzy white car zipped past me.  "Hmm, that looks like Pete's car," but I couldn't think why he'd be heading away from home base.

Turns out it was Pete, and he showed up shortly after me.  I was glad he'd gotten to see the car rally.  He was impressed with the older cars and the participants were impressed with his muscle car.  I had asked Pete's help in fine-tuning my computer, the modem, and my cellphone.  When in doubt, ask an expert.  We spent the better part of the day with our heads in cyberspace and I learned a lot.  I'm not computer illiterate, but technology progresses and I was behind the times.

Last week I'd invited Harold for dinner and Pete had time to join us, so I needed to start cooking.  This was not to be a fancy dinner:  Well-caramelized kielbasa, Lyonnaise potatoes, and cold sliced beets in a balsamic vinaigrette with tarragon.  Pete and Harold got on like a house afire, and there was a lot of laughing at the table, just the way I like it.  Who said three's a crowd?  Both guys needed to get out of the hills before dark, so they took off not long after eating.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't whupped after the last week.  I put the kids to bed and collapsed in my chair.  It had been a productive, most enjoyable day, but I was ready for an early bedtime.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds delightful. I had a friend who was participating in a car trip that was originally based in Murphy's...I'll have to check to see if it was her group!