Saturday, May 20, 2017

Houston...?

"Houston, we have a problem."

True to form, after a flurry of activity and a rash of company, yesterday was a day off.  The temperature rose to almost 80, as my long-ago neighbor would say, "hotting up."  It was a good day to sit in the shade on the deck and then come in and pay bills.  (Who'm I kidding, that's never a good day.)  I noticed while cleaning up the kitchen that the water flow would periodically diminish, but it came right back.  No big deal.  Then, after putting the girls in the barn for the night I was topping off their trough when the water slowed to a trickle.  "Houston, we have a problem."  I'll have to put in a call to Go-To Guy today and hope he hasn't gone fishing.  I've got long-distance company (Kit and Tinka) coming on Monday and it won't do to tell them not to flush.

Another hen died, one of the old Rhodies (Rhode Island reds).  Nicholas's harem is getting smaller and smaller.  That leaves me (and him) with nine hens.  Maybe I should have bought more chicks when I had the chance.

The Preakness is running today.  If it's as hot today, it will be good to just sit and watch the ponies race.  There was enough water to make a cup of coffee this morning.  That's a good start.

No comments: