Sunday, May 7, 2017

Oldtime Movies

Instead of hearing music, yesterday I was seeing old movies.  The vineyard next door is burgeoning with green leaves now, so of course I thought of "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" (1945, Edward G. Robinson, Margaret O'Brien, Agnes Moorehead).  Edward G. is better known for his bad-guy roles, but in this film he plays the unlikely role of a Norwegian farmer, father to Miss O'Brien.  It is a very gentle, feel-good movie.  After seeing acres of sticks with their arms stuck out all winter, it's lovely to see the promise of good things to come.

Even though I live on top of the hill, looking out from the deck yesterday immediately brought another favorite movie to mind, "How Green Was My Valley" (1941, Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, Roddy McDowell).  I could see, but wasn't able to get a good angle for a photo, the slope down to the woods covered with small yellow flowers.  They're probably some kind of dreadful weed, but they sure are pretty.  I did say that the backyard looks like I'd mowed with my eyes shut.  You'll have to take my word that the "island" really is full of lupine and purple vetch and was left on purpose.


Taking a breather on the deck after chores, I listened to an unusual, almost constant sound coming from the big south oak.  As I watched small birds take off and come right back, landing in the same spots, I realized I must be hearing babies in the nest!  How cool is that?  Definitely not scary like "The Birds" (1963, Tippi Hedren, Rod Taylor).

In true Kentucky Derby tradition, I dressed for the occasion ("A Day At The Races" 1937, Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx).  Texts went flying back and forth as the family placed their nickel bets, some were as funny as the Marx Brothers.  I did not win.

I love old movies.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh my gosh, the bibbies and flannel shirt make a PERFECT compliment to your Fancy Derby Millinery!! And I know that lots of people tout black and white films as being the cat's meow, but with a title like "How GREEN Was My Valley," I so wished that were in color. And they didn't call Maureen O'Hara the "Queen of Technicolor" for nothing! LOVED the blog!