Monday, May 15, 2017

Send In The Clowns

One would never think, looking at this somber group, that we spent the day laughing.  Pete, Dave, and Deb and Craig began arriving about noon, laden with food and goodies.  Pete started off the food fest with dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon and broiled, a delicious combination of salty, sweet, crisp and chewy in one bite.  Deb and Craig brought the fixings for slow-cooked pork sliders in barbecue sauce, caramelized onions, chips, and they know I'm a sucker for KFC cole slaw.  Pete had also made a pineapple-blueberry crisp.  He brought it to the table with one candle, and the candle played "Happy Birthday!"  The Kids showered me with gifts and I received so many funny, touching cards from friends and family.  Later in the day Larry called from Hawaii and it was so good to hear his voice.  In the morning I'd received calls from my Kid Clay, who had to work, and my grandson Jake who is stationed in Oklahoma and that was a lovely surprise.

I should have taken a photo after the first hand of poker, because I won that one big time.  The rest of the day, not s' much.  It was worth the price of admission to listen to the teasing and the laughter.  Whenever I think of my Kids, I always think of the laughter.

It was a most wonderful, memorable day.

And then my cellphone died.  I know what I'll be doing today.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Looks like you were either betting the salt and pepper shakers...or you won them :-) So glad you had a great birthday and Mother's Day - you deserve it. You DON'T deserve a dead phone - phooey!