Monday, December 4, 2017

A Good Cause

DIN was somewhat delayed.  NASCAR has "gone dark" until February, but football is in full swing and the Vikings were playing yesterday.  I really get messed up when the Vikes and the Steelers have games on the same day.  I know that sounds like fickle loyalties, but it's actually the opposite.  Dave is a Vikings fan and Clay roots for the Steelers, and I can't show favoritism in the family.  Thank goodness the others aren't dyed-in-the-wool footballers or I'd be in real trouble.

Another rat got caught last evening, with the same result.  I was so appalled with the first one that I flung it out into the big field because I couldn't bear to look at it and some night creature came and took it away by morning.  This one got bagged up and put in the freezer.  The thing is, they go for a good cause and I have to keep that foremost in my mind or I couldn't do what needs to be done.  There are many rescue services up here for nearly every kind of wildlife there is in the hills.  (Remember Doug, the orphaned ground squirrel?)  Camille saves up rats from her barn (her dog Sammi does the killing) and when she has a dozen or so, she takes them to a bobcat rescue group, where there is a real need.  I'll be making my contribution, too.  Eeeuw.

After a night of rain, yesterday was sunny and crisp.  Stove cooperated and the house warmed up quickly.  There is a heavy frost on the deck today and Bessie Anne didn't dawdle on her morning constitutional.

Bess is something of a con artist.  I have two identical recliners in the living room.  She wants to sit in the other one (one is mine alone, or so I thought).  She stands in front of "her" chair and looks at me.  "I'm too little, Mom, you have to boost me up," and so I do.  The last time I went to town, I came home and where was my girl?  In my chair.  Evidently she's only too little when I'm around.

No comments: