Sunday, December 10, 2017

Can't Do Little

 After all those years of cooking for four Kids with healthy appetites and their dad, I can't do little.  Fourteen pork chops or three dozen tacos; you get the idea.  Most of my pots and pans are outsized.  Learning to cook for one was difficult, and some recipes simply require a large quantity.  For instance, I can't imagine making spaghetti sauce for just one meal.  While in the produce section the other day looking for parsnips, I saw that the yellow and orange bell peppers looked really fresh and Italian sausage and peppers came to mind.  My daughter had lived in New York for a time with an Italian family and that was a Sunday dinner favorite.  Deb brought the recipe with her when she moved back to California.  Mrs. Bonti wouldn't recognize the version I now make.

Cooking time is short; it's the prep work that takes time.  While I was cutting peppers, onions, and garlic, two packages of mild and spicy sausages were browning.  (Can''t do little.)  Thankfully, Pete came up to share a late lunch, but there are plenty of leftovers for the freezer.

I'm really getting spoiled.  Pete brought a bowl of cut melons, some specialty apples (the name of which I can't remember), and a couple of avocados.  Poor Pete.  He probably thought he could avoid watching sports by coming on Saturday, but the Army-Navy football game was on.  What can I say?  Navy lost by one stinking point.  Drat.

There were no surprises in the feed bucket yesterday (insert smiley face here).



No comments: