Saturday, December 23, 2017

Carpe Diem

This morning sky with the curdled clouds looks just about as cold as it was yesterday.  The other night Camille threatened to rat me out to the Kids if I didn't stoke up the fire and get the house warm for a change.  I'll admit I'm pretty frugal with the firewood, using just enough to take the chill off, and put on another layer and grab a lap cat or two.  I don't know what she expected, that the Kids would speak to me harshly?  I don't know, either, but the threat was enough to motivate me to stuff Stove's mouth all day and by evening I didn't even need a jacket.

It was D-Day minus one and Stove wasn't the only one stoked up.  I got so much done, I even surprised myself.  Not everything, of course; the shock would have been too great.  The last chore before bedtime was to prepare a huge pot of chile verde to simmer in the oven overnight.  (The house smells wonderful this morning.)  It might not be a traditional Christmas meal, but it works for us.  There's no set time for arrival so the Kids can have a leisurely morning for themselves and not have to rush up the hill, and everyone can eat when they're hungry.  There's no set time for dinner.

Since I'm not milking anymore, barn chores are over in no time in the morning.  I'll be the first to say that milking is work, but I miss that sense of closeness with the girls.  They still get up on the stand for their breakfast and I brush them down while they're chomping up the grain, but it's not the same.  It's much like putting down a bowl of food for the dog or cats, over and done.

At any rate, there will be time this morning to finish the leftovers on the to-do list, and with any luck I'll be ready for Christmas, just under the wire.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh wow, what a great accomplishment to not be running around like a chicken with one's head cut off. I will not be hosting, so I am taking my time fixing the things I will be taking, and I still have time to tidy the house (Well, it's not going to be perfectly clean...) so that it will be nice when I return. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and good luck with poker!!