Monday, December 18, 2017

You're Kidding

In "The Great Santini," (1979; Robert Duvall, Blythe Danner, Michael O'Keefe), Bull Meechum frequently says to his family, "Let's go, sports fans!"  I don't qualify as a true sports fan since I only follow football and NASCAR, but I was mightily disappointed yesterday while happily watching the Minnesota Vikings beat the socks off the Cincinnati Bengals.  In the third quarter, Vikings were ahead 24-0, yay!!  Without changing channels, suddenly I was watching the Saints vs. Jets.  What???  I flipped back to find out why and what I'd missed.  "We're switching to a more competitive game now."  Seriously?!  Are you kidding me?  There we Vikings fans were, left without the chance to do a happy dance, hoot and holler, and gloat.  I found out later that the final score was 34-7 and the Vikings clinched the NFL North; somewhat anticlimactic.  Sigh.  (And no, I did not watch the Saints game.  I haven't watched the Jets since Joe Namath was a player.)

I've got to get a fire going earlier in the day.  It's down in the 30s in the morning now and if the house gets cold overnight, it takes forever to get it warm.  Stove gobbled down nearly a wagon load of wood yesterday and I still needed a jacket on in the house.  Oh well, as long as he's happy.

Ralph takes somewhat less than subtle revenge.  Tired of wrestling with the cats in bed last night, I booted one (it was too dark to tell which one) out.  It was Ralph, who jumped back up and came to lie down on my pillow next to me.  Three guesses as to which end was in my face.

What a day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a day indeed. I've heard about the powers that be switching to the movie, Heidi, and leaving the TV watchers missing the end of the game, but I have never heard of going to a more competitive game. Sheesh! Guess you know what they think of the TV viewers. I think they forget on which side their bread is buttered!