Thursday, December 21, 2017

Pride Goeth

There I was, feeling all triumphant and self-satisfied that I, personally, had driven the rats from the barn.  That balloon got deflated fast when I went into the barn yesterday morning and saw the hind end of a black cat duck through a hole in the wall in Cindy's old stall.  This is the same "black panther" that had previously terrified the goats out in the pen.  I don't know how Cheeky coerced the girls into accepting her (arbitrary gender assignment) or if they're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, but the cat seems to have found a way to calm them down.  Later, I saw Cheeky trotting through the pen past the girls and they just ignored her.  Go figure.  (I do miss the mice.)  I wish there were a way to give the cat access to the feed room where the destructive horde hangs out.  She'd get so fat she'd waddle.

The rain was over by sunup and it turned into a gorgeous blue and gold day, but cold.  Stove gobbled up nearly a full wagon load of firewood.  I'm still glad we switched to a wood stove.  Camille has a pellet stove and when the power went out the other night, she was left without heat.

Prep for Christmas moves on apace, my pace rivaling the speed of a snail.  Three days until the Kids come up, and tomorrow will be spent in the kitchen.  I'd better kick it into high gear today, or else my pride will get another knock-down.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I find it hard to get into that high gear myself lately. Crossing my fingers for both of us!