Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Fair Trade

You know "you're not in Kansas anymore" (i.e., I don't live in the city anymore) when your neighbor stops by and you trade her two frozen dead rats for a 2018 calendar from the feed store.  We were both pleased with the switch.  I haven't said anything for fear of jinxing the situation, but after those last two caught, I haven't trapped or seen evidence of any of those rodents.  Evidently rats can desert a barn as fast as they do a sinking ship.  The bobcats will have to do without my contribution to their potluck.

Just before Camille left, the lights dimmed and we were in a brownout.  I ran around turning off all electrical appliances but the one light to reduce the draw on the system.  I lit the oil lamps while I could still see, and then, of course, there was a total blackout.  Crum.  Once again I was so glad we'd switched out the electric stove top for propane so I was able to heat up a package of stew from the freezer that I'd already thawed for dinner.  The power was out for about three hours, long enough for the lamps to fizzle out.  (Note to self:  put new wicks in the oil lamps.)  I'd brought more wood to the porch and Stove was cooperating, and I had my hardhat and a good book. This sure wasn't my first rodeo.

While sitting there in near dark, it began to rain.  It's still raining this morning, so we're saved from going down on record as the second driest December in history.  I hope it's raining in SoCal as well to help put down or at least slow down the raging wildfires.

All in all, I'd say it was a good day.

No comments: