Friday, October 5, 2018

For Real

Yesterday Nature quit teasing and gave us some rain for real.  It started just before daylight and continued steadily most of the day.  I left the play yard open for the girls.  How long has it been since I've done that?

It's hard to describe the smell of fresh-washed, dust-free, pine-scented air.  Bess and I couldn't resist when the skies cleared and we went for a slow walkabout in the front yard.  For a change, I didn't have to worry about tripping in a squirrel hole.  The little boogers had pulled dirt over to shut their front doors.  Evidently the rain had brought out some insects in the chicken pen because there were more hens outside pecking and scratching than I've seen together at one time.  Whatever it takes.

Both photos were taken at the same time as I went out to put the kids to bed.  The top one is to the east, the bottom one toward the west.

In a grand gesture, Nature opened another cloud or two after dark.

It was a good, wet day, for real.  (Remind me of this when I'm whining about damp rot and soggy shoes.)

No comments: