Monday, October 1, 2018

Slide Show

It's not hard at times to feel I'm watching a constantly changing live slide show of beauty.  Yesterday's morning sky was filled with streaks of red.  I would have tried to capture it, but had woken up late (5:30) and had to get things done.  This morning (4:30), the nearly full moon is spectacular shining behind drifting banks of clouds and, dadrat it, my phone does not take good photos of the night sky so I can't share.  Every window and door look out on a view, different and lovely in its own way.  I guess now that kids in school watch stuff on laptops, but I remember the click, click, click of the slide show carousels.in class.

This aging business gets very frustrating.  At the same time it causes me to get inventive.  I needed to get a forty-pound bag of chicken scratch from the truck over to the coop and knew darned well I'd have trouble carrying it.  Hmmm.  I didn't want to back the truck up because Bess was out with me and that's a bit of a problem.  She's getting older, too, and I didn't want her out on her own and in the way.  She doesn't hear any vehicle anymore, so doesn't move away.  Getting her into the truck is also a problem because she can't jump in as she used to.  We've worked out a system.  She puts her front feet up on the running board and I boost her back end up on the seat.  It wasn't worth the effort for the short move to the coop.  Think, woman.  Aha!  I got the little wagon used to bring firewood to the porch and was able to drag the bag out of the truck into the wagon and over to the pen.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

Lately there has been some unidentified night creature out in the dark and I haven't the foggiest idea as to what it is.  It makes a sound like no other I've heard.  I don't even know if it's a bird or an animal.  The first time I heard it, it sounded almost like the hoarse cry of a wounded creature, brief but loud and repeated for a short while.  I can tell it moves about the front yard, never sounding in the same place.  I'm thinking it's hunting, but have no idea what it is.  Another of life's mysteries.

No comments: