Sunday, October 7, 2018

What Day Is It?

Once in a great while a commercial will come along that is not irritating, banal, or just plain forgettable and be truly beautiful (I like the ads now for Dignity Health that promote "human kindness") or funny, like the Geico Insurance ad that swept the country...the camel asking, "What day is it?"  Being calendar challenged, I'm often reminded of that one.  (I'd probably be more in tune if my calendar wasn't still on August.)  It's my daughter who keeps me as close to on track as possible.  If the telephone rings early (and I mean early!) in the morning, I'm confident that it will be Deb and that it is, in fact, Saturday.  She has developed the habit of calling me on the weekend before Craig gets up and she's having a cup of coffee.  I feel confident in answering the phone and saying, "Good morning!  It must be Saturday."  These mother-daughter chats mean the world to me, almost as good as an in-person visit.

Yesterday morning after barn chores as I was walking up the drive I noticed that Bess had picked up something, but she was hiding whatever it was.  Bessie doesn't hurry anywhere anymore, but she hustled along in front of me, head down so I couldn't see.  Hmmm.  Catching up to her, I saw she'd found a long-dead, desiccated squirrel.  Our definitions of "Oh, goody" differed.  She was disappointed that I wouldn't let her bring her treasure into the house.  It wouldn't have done any good to throw it away because she would have just found it again, but she did have to leave it in the yard.  Another creature came later and disposed of the problem.  Poor Bessie Anne.

It being Saturday, I was busy doing nothing when Cam called, asking if I were going up to the store.  Camille never asks a favor, so it was an easy answer.  While picking up what she needed, I also bought myself a container of hummus and a baguette.  Close to fifty years ago, Gus, a Syrian merchant I knew, had introduced me to hummus and taught me how to make it.  For some reason, over time I'd lost the habit of making the chickpea, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic dip or spread.  I'd been happily reintroduced last year.  Holiday carries a particularly good brand, and now I frequently choose that as a reward and treat for going shopping at all.  That was dinner last night.

Yesterday was Saturday so today must be Sunday.  Who needs a calendar?  Thanks, Deb.

No comments: