Friday, October 26, 2018

San Antonio Rose

Having decided to quit dawdling and get some serious housework done, I changed the channel to hunt for one of the all-music stations...and that was my downfall.  I usually listen to '50s rock-and-roll (definitely not the same as what is called rock-and-roll today) at such times, but really wasn't in the mood.  Classical was too mellow to get me moving.  Hmmm.  Aha!  "County Gold," that'll do.  However, the first song played was "San Antonio Rose," and I was transported in time.  This was Willie Nelson's version, but I remember the Bob Wills original (1940).  My daddy was a dancer.  There are old photos of him dancing with me as an infant in arms, and it's one of my first memories of my father...dancing together when I was so little I had to stand on his feet to learn the moves.  While he loved all music, as a Texas import, county music remained a favorite for Daddy, and "San Antonio Rose" was at the top of his list.  Of course, I had to stop and listen...and remember.

Toward the end of his years, due to a severe car accident, Dad lived in a convalescent hospital and walked with a cane.  Once a month a live band would come to play for the residents.  In addition to my other visits, Dad would tell me to be sure to be there on the day the band would be there...and not be late!  He might have had trouble walking, but he would hook his cane over his arm and we danced!  "Daddy, I'm sure some of these ladies would love to be your partner."  "Maybe, but they can't follow like you can."  Alrighty then.

Instead of the background music I'd planned, the afternoon was spent in reverie as old songs came one after another.  From the first strum of Nelson's guitar Trigger to Waylon Jennings' throaty voice, from Patsy Cline's heartbreaking lyrics to Merle Haggard in the '60s...the memories kept coming.  I'd love to have one more dance with my father.

It's definitely going to be "back to the future" today.  I've got special company coming tomorrow!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw that must have been SOOO special to have danced with your dad, and how wonderful that the could even dance in the convalescent home!