Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Abandoned

No one has run away and left me all alone, but the cats have abandoned my lap and moved to a warmer climate.  Oh well.  I'm sure that Stove appreciates being needed.  Even though the sun shone most of the day(!) and melted most of the snow, the temperature didn't rise much and Stove was working full time, day and night.

The path from the feed barrels to the chicken pen was in shade and still iced over and it was tricky going.  Even though they're still antisocial, I know the chickens were happy to get their breakfast.  The trail in the goat pen had switched from snow to mud and I had to watch my step there, too.  Both of the girls were lying down and basking in the sunshine.  Sheila seemed happy to see me and demanded a good head rub when I'd finished filling Missy's bowl.  The girls have been huddled in the barn during the worst of the weather and I didn't blame them.  Goats aren't necessarily affectionate pets, but it's very nice when they ask to be petted and Sheila will put her face up to share a huff of breath.  Tessie has always been more aloof.  To each her own.

Bess and my big adventure for the day was taking the trash down to the big road.  It could have been worse.  The dirt road was clear of snow, but was muddy and getting rutted.  We made it without incident.  There is one place on my steep driveway that remains shaded and still had a coating of snow, but I got a good run at it on the way back and it wasn't necessary to throw Truck into four-wheel drive.  Bess enjoyed Truck's heater.

I'm glad I got a look at the full moon rising the night before, because last night was the Super Snow Moon and rose nearly hidden behind a shroud of clouds.  I'm sure it was spectacular.

I can hear the wind howling outside and it's just light enough to see a heavily overcast sky.  Stove is well fed and cranked up.  Ralph and Celeste usually come back to the bedroom when I'm at the computer, but not this morning.  Abandoned again.  Sigh.

No comments: